Certificate Completion Requirements
Who Should Attend
PHR/SPHR Certification Information
Related Human Resources Courses
If you’ve been planning to enhance your HR knowledge by earning your Professional Human Resources (PHR®) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR®) designation, now is the time to enroll in our updated and expanded HR Certification Institute exam preparation course based on the SHRM Learning System® for PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation.
George Mason University offers the Human Resource Certificate Program in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). The curriculum, designed by subject matter experts, covers the HR Certification Institute Body of Knowledge and includes application exercises that develop specific competencies and decision-making skills. The SHRM Learning System is the #1 PHR/SPHR certification preparation program that consistently helps professionals beat the national pass rate.
By successfully completing our course, you will develop new knowledge and skills that will improve your workplace effectiveness immediately.
Set your sights on certification.
This intensive program is designed primarily for individuals seeking certification as a Professional in Human Resources (PHR®) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR®). Click here to learn more about the PHR® and SPHR® certifications.
This intensive program combines expert instruction with the SHRM Learning System®, so you will learn faster, retain more knowledge and stay on track as you prepare for the exam. With our blended approach, you'll learn from printed workbooks, software, online tools, and a dynamic classroom experience.
Please click here for in-class dates.
February 3-April 27, 2014 (Self-paced)
Location: Online Status: Open
February 24-May 18, 2014 (Self-paced)
Location: Online Status: Open
|Each seminar is recommended for:
36 Contact Hours
|Herndon Training Center at CIT
Online contact form
||George Mason University
Office of Continuing Professional Education
||2214 Rock Hill Road, Suite 400
||Herndon, VA 20170-4213
Let us guide you to success.
Achieving major career goals is challenging and time consuming. But, the road to success is easier when an experienced guide provides a roadmap and keeps you on track. If your goal is HR certification, we’ll lead you to success. Our instructors focus on critical exam content, and our structured classroom environment accelerates learning and improves retention.
By attending our course, you will develop new knowledge and skills that will improve your workplace effectiveness immediately and prepare you to take the PHR® or SPHR® certification exam. By enrolling in this course, you also get the added benefit of:
- A structured online classroom environment that enhances learning and helps you stay on track
- An experienced instructor to explain concepts and apply them to your industry
- Opportunities to virtually network and share real-world experiences with other HR professionals
- Maximize employer tuition assistance and eliminate travel
- Structured classes and course syllabus to keep you on schedule
In addition to being a powerful tool for PHR® or SPHR® certification preparation, this strategic course fosters professional advancement and builds confidence for managing HR challenges.
There's never been a better time to pursue your PHR® or SPHR® designation. With our blended approach, you'll learn from printed workbooks, online tools and a dynamic classroom experience. In addition, you can earn 3.6 continuing education units (CEUs) for completing this course.
Using Blackboard, a web-based set of course tools designed to deliver online learning, you can be part of a virtual class that will provide a thorough review of the learning system. You will follow a schedule and interact with your instructor and peers in a virtual environment. The course content is the same as the classroom-based program, which offers flexible scheduling and the benefit of attending class on your own computer.
The most up-to-date learning modules
The SHRM Learning System includes six modules covering the entire HR Certification Institute body of knowledge so you’ll learn everything you need for the PHR or SPHR exam. Modules were updated to reflect the new HR practice and legislation in the HR Certification Institute’s body of knowledge.
1. Business Management and Strategy
- Strategic role of HR in organizations
- HR business management skills
- Strategic Planning Process
- Evaluating the internal/external environment
- HR and the legislative and regulatory environment
2. Workforce Planning and Employment
- Employee rights, privacy and consumer protection legislation
- Organizational staffing requirements
- Job analysis and documentation
- Recruitment, flexible staffing, selection and retention
3. Human Resource Development
- Organizational development initiatives
- Adult learning and motivation; Training and development
- Talent and performance management
4. Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation structure and systems
- Benefit programs (Government mandated, deferred comp plans, health care and other non-statutory benefits)
- Compensation and benefits legislation
- Evaluating compensation and benefits programs
5. Employee and Labor Relations
- Employee and labor relations legislation
- Union organizing and collective bargaining
- Unfair labor practices
- Discipline and complaint resolution
6. Risk Management
- Organizational risk
- Workplace safety, health, security and privacy
- Risk management legislation
The 2014 SHRM Learning System is filled with new features, including innovative SmartStudy tools that help streamline your study time and build confidence for passing the certification exam. Follow these steps to success:
- ASSESS: Take our assessments to determine your current knowledge and gaps, with the results weighted against tested areas on the certification exam (PHR or SPHR).
- STUDY: Use assessment results to identify your learning priorities, create your personal study plan, estimate study time and apply learned knowledge.
- PASS: Complete the post-test and use other testing preparation tools to validate your learning and refine your study plan as you prepare to pass the exam.
SmartStudy is like having a compass pointing toward content you most need to study.
What is the SHRM Learning System?
The SHRM Learning System provides the most comprehensive and effective PHR/SPHR training program through a blended format of printed workbooks, learning software, and web-based study tools. This easy-to-use system includes key elements that make it the most comprehensive product on the market.
Whatever your learning style, you’ll find ways to test your knowledge and build confidence. Use our interactive case study, featuring real-life scenarios and questions, to apply your knowledge.
1. Printed Workbooks
- Six print modules teach the HR Certification Institute body of knowledge tested in PHR and SPHR exams.
- Printed glossary of terms and subject index for each module.
- Easy-to-identify icons highlight key content and links to additional resources.
- SPHR Preparation Book specifically designed for SPHR candidates.
2. Online Learning Center
- Quickstarts with guided overviews for each module highlight key topics.
- Assessments that identify topics a participant already knows and those areas that require more time and attention.
- More than 1,000 question practice tests for continually testing knowledge and comprehension.
- Post-test that are weighted and balanced to mimic the scored PHR/SPHR exam; presented in the style and format used by the HR Certification Institute.
3. Online Resource Center
- eFlashcards with over 750 key terms-printed, online or audio.
- Up-to-date legislative changes and new HR developments.
- Test-taking strategies for approaching the HR Certification Institute exam and increasing success rates.
- Downloadable audio and webcasts.
- Ask-The-Expert section to ask follow-up questions to certified professionals.
- A feedback feature that provides opportunities for program evaluations and suggestions.
- Links to additional information cited in the modules.
4. Mobile Study Tools
Best of all, you can access the SHRM Learning System via your PC, laptop, your mobile device, or e-reader device making it easy to study wherever and whenever you have time. Maximize your downtime. Whether you have a long commute, business travel, or are waiting for an appointment, you can study whenever and wherever you choose with the SHRM Learning System.
- More than 1,000 review questions.
- Access to the Online Resource Center.
- 100-question post-test that mirrors the HR Certification Institute certification exam.
- Flashcards with over 750 glossary terms. Progress reports to measure your learning.
Why should you choose the SHRM Learning System course?
- Proven success: Professionals who use the SHRM Learning System to prepare for the PHR and SPHR exams consistently beat the national pass rate, year after year.
- Complete training: The SHRM Learning System’s user-friendly content matches the HR Certification Institute body of knowledge on which the PHR/SPHR exams are based. In addition, this program includes more than 1,500 practice questions, an interactive case study, and a post-test that mirrors the certification exam.
- Current topics: The program content is updated yearly and the Online Resource Center provides timely legislative changes and HR developments. By staying current, you can protect your organization from legal risk.
- Competitive advantage: With the SHRM Learning System, you can meet all of your professional development goals while broadening your HR perspective. This tool can help you develop a generalist point of view, refresh key ideas and concepts, strengthen your understanding of core competencies, and increase productivity.
- Ongoing reference: Use the Learning System as a day-to-day operations manual, with answers to HR-challenges right at your fingertips.
- Affordability: Save time and money in the long run by choosing a quality exam preparation program. The SHRM Learning System provides HR professionals with more content, tests, learning tools, and access to expert advice than any other PHR/SPHR exam preparation program. Group discounts, tuition reimbursement, and SHRM-sponsored scholarship can make your investment more affordable.
- New Mobile Study Tools: The SHRM Learning System’s online study tools are more portable and convenient than ever! Access custom formatted online tests, flashcards, and resources using the browser on your iPhone, Blackberry, Palm Pre, Windows Mobile, or Google Android.
The SHRM Advantage
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. Representing more than 250,000 members in over 140 countries, the Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession. Founded in 1948, SHRM has more than 575 affiliated chapters within the United States and subsidiary offices in China and India. Visit www.shrm.org.
Back to top
CERTIFICATE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
Online Course Requirements: To receive a Certificate of Completion from George Mason University and SHRM, participants must be active participants in the online classroom including the following:
- You must login to Blackboard at least once a week.
- You will be expected to read and respond to discussion questions posted in the week's lecture and to reply to your classmates' comments.
- You are expected to post at least 66 responses in the discussion area by the end of the course. These should preferably be done on a weekly basis.
- Your response to the initial post in the discussion area should be substantive: no less than 50 words per reply for each response.
- You need to complete all readings on the Blackboard site.
- You must complete the assessment exam prior to the start of class.
- You also must complete post module tests for each module and the final exam on www.learnhrm.com by the deadline specified by your instructor.
Back to top
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The course is designed for managers and staff in general management or human resource management positions:
- HR professionals planning to take the PHR® or SPHR® certification exam
- PHR® professionals seeking to "upgrade" their certification to SPHR®
If you are new to HR, click here for our Essentials of Human Resource Management course.
Back to top
Please click here to download the PDF brochure for the Human Resource Management program.
This brochure and the registration form for this course require Adobe Reader. Click here to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
Back to top
Please click here for a list of our human resource instructors.
Back to top
- "To date, this is the best online course that I have taken. I felt as if I actually had a teacher (which I did)."
- "This course is the real deal… This course covers it all. I actually feel qualified to do my job now!"
- "Toni was very friendly, knowledgeable and extremely encouraging."
- "Thanks to this course, I have a deeper respect and understanding of how important a well-trained human resources department can be for a company or organization. I recommend it to new and seasoned HR professionals alike!"
- "I really enjoyed the online format both for flexibility and for the chance to go back and revisit topics and discussions. The classmates and the instructor made it enjoyable and worth sticking with!"
Back to top
PHR® and SPHR® CERTIFICATION INFORMATION
PHR® and SPHR® certification exams are administered by the HR Certification Institute. Please note that university course fees are separate from HR Certification Institute examination fees. Contact HR Certification Institute at http://www.hrci.org/HRCertification for certification exam information, requirements to sit for the exam, exam registration, and exam fees.
All certification testing is computer-based and conducted at the 250 Prometric Test Centers around the country. For best results, schedule your certification exam for a date that is after the end of your particular class section. For information on the exam and how to register, visit www.hrci.org.
While no single course of study guarantees success on the HR Certification Institute examinations, thousands of individuals have used the SHRM Learning System® to effectively prepare for the exams.
|PHR/SPHR Test Dates
||To avoid a late fee, register for your exam by:
|May 1– June 30, 2014
||March 19, 2014
|Dec. 1, 2014– Jan. 31, 2015
||Early October, 2014
For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute web site at www.hrci.org, call the HR Certification Institute at 866-898-4724, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top
RELATED HUMAN RESOURCES COURSES
Back to top