George Mason University in collaboration with The Center for Legal Studies offers the Paralegal Certificate Online! The format is the same Paralegal Certificate that has been offered for over 34 years at universities, in the classroom, throughout the nation. This online course is available to students who, because of location or schedule conflicts, are unable to attend the popular live lectures.
This intensive, nationally acclaimed program is designed for beginning as well as advanced legal workers. Students will be trained to assist trial attorneys, interview witnesses, investigate complex fact patterns, research the law, and assist in preparing cases for courtroom litigation. The instruction is practice-oriented and related to those areas of the law in which legal assistants are most in demand.
This online interactive Paralegal Certificate provides guided instruction s. Students benefit from direct interaction with the instructor and other students via e-mail and discussion board. Students have 14 weeks to complete the online course. Students are expected to participate online each week as described below, but students do have the flexibility to work online at any hour of the day. Students must successfully complete and pass all requirements to be awarded a certificate.
Once registered, students’ password and access information will be sent by email prior to the start of class.
This program will help students increase their efficiency and productivity, as well as learn new marketable job skills.
The Center for Legal Studies is a member of the National Federation of Paralegal Associations (NFPA) and the American Association for Justice (AJA).
| August 24-December 4, 2015 (Self-paced)
Location: Online Status: Open
October 19, 2015-February 26, 2016 (Self-paced)
Location: Online Status: Open
Please click here for in-class dates.
|Each seminar is recommended for:
90 Contact Hours
This course is also available on a contract basis and can be tailored to suit your organization's needs. Please contact us to discuss your onsite opportunity.
|Herndon Training Center at CIT
Online contact form
||George Mason University
Office of Continuing Professional Education
||2214 Rock Hill Road, Suite 400
||Herndon, VA 20170-4213
- Legal Terminology, Legal Process, and Rules of Civil Procedure
- Ethics, Torts, and Contracts
- Legal Documents and Legal Analysis
- Discovery Documents and Legal Interviewing
- Evidence and Legal Investigation
- Legal Authority
- Introduction to Legal Research
- Legal Research Practice and Citation Format
- Legal Writing, Computers, and Appellate Procedure
- Law Office Administration and Informal and Formal Advocacy
- Substantive Areas of Law
- Job-Hunting Techniques and Course Wrap-up
Click here for course syllabus:
- Students e-mail assignments and exams.
- This is an accelerated course. Students will be expected to spend an average of 12 hours per week reading and completing writing assignments. Please note that no extensions will be granted for this online course.
- Students will be expected to complete reading assignments each week.
- Students’ grade will be based on successful completion of tests, memos, and class participation assignments. The tests and memos are submitted using the Private Mail tool. Students will also have the opportunity to engage in "class participation" by using the Bulletin Board tool to respond to the bulletin board assignments throughout the course. Also, participating in the bulletin board assignments will enhance the understanding of the reading material.
- Each week students will submit a short answer and essay exam covering the topics in the weekly reading.
- Writing assignment is to prepare two interoffice memos in which you analyze legal issues.
- Students will also be required to complete Bulletin Board assignments. Several assignments are available to choose from each week.
- 70 percent is the minimum required passing score on all tests and assignments for this course. Students may consider working ahead in the curriculum if they have the time.
Textbooks–not included in course registration fee. Please visit http://ocpe.gmu.edu/new_forms/paralegal_textbooks.pdf for more information.
Westlaw–Legal Research Access–not included in course registration fee. Contact the Center for Legal Studies at 1-800-522-7737 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information and Westlaw pricing.
Advanced Paralegal Certificate Online
Advanced Legal Research and Writing Certificate Online
Intellectual Property for Engineers Certificate Online
Legal Investigation Certificate Online
Legal Nurse Consultant Training Certificate Online
Personal Injury for Paralegals Certificate Online
Software Essentials for the Law Offices Certificate Online